unconditional love-myth or mystery ?

the title itself is way too serious for my easy go lucky blog of mine ( so i believe) but its something i have contemplated quite a few times,more times confusedly than anything and wondered if i was the only one around who thought unconditional love was just a word of stories and movies.


 This thought,before any of u jump to conclusions,does NOT come from any cynicism or any less faith in love. For those who know me and those who dont, let me tell you i am a really BIG romantic , yes i love mushy movies,grand gestures,feel good books (roomie dear, vouch for me :D) and am strong advocator of being happily in love. i have been loved and cared for, and with gods grace, never ever been unlucky in any kind of love. 
i am excluding parents from this equation when i doubt unconditional love (my mother must have unconditional love for forgiving the THINGS i did,do and will do :D) 
but when i think about love,i have always understood of myself that i put effort,time and care into a reltionship (of whatever kind it may be) when i feel or know that the emotions are reciprocated..does that make me totally and unforgiveably selfish or does it just make me human? I remember someone saying only unconditional love brings true joy,i respectfully disagree. anyone who knows me would cateogrise me as a generally happy, bordering on hypomania, entity only (yes i have my moments of neuroticism) 
Is it self preservation which makes me give back what i know for sure is returned ? Is it not more hurtful or saddening to be in unconditional love?How does any one not expect anything at all from the one you love? Be it loyalty or commitment or for that matters that the feelings be returned? doets tha not that make it conditional? when we expect something, how can we be happy when we are disappointed?  to my thought process it will just make u miserable! 
anyone who had read the fountainhead might relate to me a little more, it was like a REVELATION!


for anyone who has any thoughts to share,i am willing to listen :D

Comments

Giby Varghese said…
Agree to wat u say... Till some time i had a perception that unconditional love existed.... but its true nothings unconditional in this world.... the rains, the air, everything around us...
Sworoop said…
Hmm nice title.. My answer is unconditional love is a mystery! I like to think parent's love for child is unconditional, and also i believe God's love is purely unconditional :) (thank God!) I remembr once when i was irritated with my mum for sumthin, she sat in front of me, smiled and sweetly said, "no matter how much u hate me, or what u say, i still love you" i dont think it was an active decision she made then, but her unconditional love toward me that she simply expressed then. She also said no matter how much a child loves its mother, it will not parallel the mother's love for her child. I was small then and didnt understand what she said; i still dont understand it now. And the same goes with God's love (Romans 5:8). It's a profound mystery, but i know it exists bcos i have experienced it :)

Popular posts from this blog

GROWING UP...